The Gaming Den "Going to a Con" Thread

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Count_Arioch_the_28th wrote:Cool. This year is bad for me, but next year looks promising.
Ditto. It would be good to see you, Count.

Game on,
fbmf
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

fbmf wrote:
Count_Arioch_the_28th wrote:Cool. This year is bad for me, but next year looks promising.
Ditto. It would be good to see you, Count.

Game on,
fbmf
No wild turkey for me though, I've completely burned myself on brown liquor. Scotch, bourbon, whiskey, Shit-in-a-bottle (er) Jack Daniels, it makes me do the psychadelic yawn. My stomach just convulses, as if to say "Oh no, you ain't doing this shit to me AGAIN" when it hits my mouth.

I know, it's a terrible thing, I used to be a huge fan of Bushmill's.
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

I am totally NOT going to GenCon this year. Getting fired has disadvantages.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

I am definitely not going this year. Next year is still open up to the posibility of me going. With count and fbmf going next year I have a good reason to go as well.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Sounds great. Let's not discuss politics though. :tonguesmilie:
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Count_Arioch_the_28th wrote:Sounds great. Let's not discuss politics though. :tonguesmilie:
You think? Darn, I was hoping to have my first real edited copy of my 2009 Script Frenzy Play ... "The Sexy Sushi Party." It's all about the SUSHI!

Or religion. We better not discuss that either.

I do need a refresher course on "The Nacho Incident." The game is so much easier to play when the wild turkey is flowing and others are explaining it. I got it at home and couldn't explain it to others.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

I've never had good sushi before. I've had lots of really bad sushi though. I do like crab and barbecued eel though.

Maybe we can play Ninja Burger or Chez Geek or whatnot. And get a growler or two. That sounds like good times.
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

We could always go to the Mikado again. There are a number of great places for raw oysters (for a place so far from the ocean the raw oysters are great there or they were the last time I was there). On the other side of the spectrum, I love the Steak ‘n Shake.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Steak and shake is exceptional for fried foods. I also like to hit a White Castle on the way there.

There's a little place near the Omni called the Red Eye Cafe. You can get beer at any time of day or night, they serve breakfast foods 24/7, and they have a pretty good chili burger too. Nothing like starting your day with a tall New Moon and some waffles before a day of gaming and debauchery.
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Was Red Eye typically crowded? I may have to look for it...
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Count Arioch the 28th
King

They were slightly crowded during breakfast, but typically I wasn't there on peak hours. I never had to wait for a table. Unusual for such a small place. However, the food is excellent.

I'm thinking if you left the lobby door of the Omni it was around a corner, like within 5 minutes walking distance or so. I can't quite remember though.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Thanks, I'll try to remember to look it up!
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

I'll second the recommendation for the Red Eye. It's got great pies.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Also, I'm abgout 85% sure that two years ago, one of the waitresses there was trying to sex me. I was just really not in a good mental place two years ago and I didn't pick up on her signals. (I was told by my brother that a woman telling you she really wanted a warm body beside her in bed was very likely being very blatant that she wanted me. Unfortunately, the divorce was still too fresh and I wasted most of Gencon having panic attacks.)
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

So, I reckon this is the stickied thread...is there an official meeting place/time?
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
erik
King

Post by erik »

This thread is even quieter than it was last year. I'm guessing a whole lot of non-attendees?

My wife's family vacation was falling on the exact same days, but since she is gonna be in her 3rd trimester by that date it appears that we probably won't want to be leaving the state. So it seems like I may be able to attend afterall. I already scheduled the vacation time off, but I have yet to buy any tickets.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Does anyone have any statistics or official announcements of the GenCon people having to put the 4E tables into the same room as the other D&D tables?

Because that'd put a fire in my loins.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

I'll be there.

Game On,
fbmf
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

I know I read that somewhere, too, Lago.
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
Wesley Street
Knight

Post by Wesley Street »

My wife and I are attending but we were too slow to register to hit up any games, other than a d6 Star Wars and Shadowrun game. We're checking out the seminars.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

I'm going, but just for Saturday.

Game On,
fbmf
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

My Google-fu is apparently weak this morning...

How do I tell who the GENCON featured guest that everyone will be lining up for autographs for will be this year?

I know, for example, that Weis and Hickman show every year, but I'm talking about the cult geek movie/television icon a la Wil Wheaton last year.

I can find reference to authors and artists, but no movie/television personality.

Game On,
fbmf
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

It's possible they haven't announced it yet - I don't see it anywhere on their site yet.
You can't fix stupid.

Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

So, I just bought my tickets to pax-east. I know I missed some of the people who went last year.

So is anyone else thinking of going to PAX-east? There was a great bar just outside the venue, last time I was there.
Last edited by Cynic on Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

[Thread Necromancy]
I'll be at Space City Con in Houston this August. Anyone else going?
[/Thread Necro]

Game On,
fbmf
Last edited by fbmf on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.