"strip mining" old stuff for future 4E splatbooks

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

ggroy
Knight

"strip mining" old stuff for future 4E splatbooks

Post by ggroy »

Last edited by ggroy on Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

Yea, their release schedule is completely unsustainable.

However, if they start strip-mining Magic: The Gathering, there should be enough to print until 2012.

I think that the 1 book, 1-2 campaign (levels 1-30) every 3 months release schedule would generally make everyone happy.
Heath Robinson
Knight

Post by Heath Robinson »

I believe that their curent release schedule is based on the assumptions that player takeup is only impeded by a comparitive lack of material. They see it as a quantative issue, not a qualitative problem.

There are observed reasons why someone wouldn't be able to detect the difference in quality and assume that it's only a quantity problem. Quality is not very objectively measurable, but quantity has these convenient numbers (mostly meaningless) that get management off their backs about montising the new edition.

Sales, well... there are a lot of things you can blame a sales slump on other than a drop in quality. Pirates are a popular scapegoat, the MPAA and RIAA have legitimised blaming them for any sales woes you might have. Oh, hey, the economy isn't doing too well!
Face it. Today will be as bad a day as any other.
ggroy
Knight

Post by ggroy »

Last edited by ggroy on Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

I don't think the market can support the current release schedule, even if they had 100% of it. It feels like an author that writes more than 1 book/month, and a movie producer that releases 2 movies/week. To the vast majority of audiences, that is just too much material.
ggroy
Knight

Post by ggroy »

Last edited by ggroy on Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

SunTzuWarmaster wrote:I don't think the market can support the current release schedule, even if they had 100% of it. It feels like an author that writes more than 1 book/month, and a movie producer that releases 2 movies/week. To the vast majority of audiences, that is just too much material.
Not to mention that most of their new material is totally useless to existing campaigns and characters. New classes that you have to start out in, feats with crazy ability score prereqs that you wouldn't have unless you specifically built to get that feat, racial feats you can't take unless you're some obscure race/class combo... Honestly it seems like the only time you'd care about 4E splats is if you had to make a new character.

At least in 3.5 you could use some of the stuff in the splats on your current character. casters got new spells, fighters could plan to take a feat or two or use one of the new PrCs. There was a reason you may want to buy those books for your existing character.

But 4E... damn... it doesn't seem like it offers much at all to existing characters.
Heath Robinson
Knight

Post by Heath Robinson »

ggroy wrote:When a product is doing really well in sales, this is probably what leads company executives to think that they can get away with selling "dogshit" masquerading as the product.
I prefer to apply Hanlon's Razor - the dev team think they're putting out good quality work, and see the lower player takeup as being a problem with the amount of available material instead of how good the material is.
RandomCasualty2 wrote:Not to mention that most of their new material is totally useless to existing campaigns and characters. New classes that you have to start out in, feats with crazy ability score prereqs that you wouldn't have unless you specifically built to get that feat, racial feats you can't take unless you're some obscure race/class combo... Honestly it seems like the only time you'd care about 4E splats is if you had to make a new character.

At least in 3.5 you could use some of the stuff in the splats on your current character. casters got new spells, fighters could plan to take a feat or two or use one of the new PrCs. There was a reason you may want to buy those books for your existing character.

But 4E... damn... it doesn't seem like it offers much at all to existing characters.
I guess they believe that there are more players ready to get into the game that are just waiting for an appropriate character class to become available.
Face it. Today will be as bad a day as any other.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Well, they've already stripmined all the art...

..but yeah, I agree with the uselessness of most of the splats. I mean, it seems like they could have made them more useful if the designers weren't obsessed with "every class should have its own extremely limited schtick"

With the exception of every controller, who gets summoning attached for the low, low price of $29.99.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

It's frustrating because the entire power design is obviously heavily influenced by 3e splatbooks: "We need fodder, pad the book with spells!"
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

They'll probably start recycling old campaign settings that 3E skipped, if it comes down to it - Spooky Spooky Land, D&D in SPAAAAAAAACE, My Infinity is Bigger than Your Infinity, It's Always Hot and Dry Outside and so on.

And there are fans of the above settings who hate 3E simply because it didn't support their favourite 2E setting, so those idiots would buy it up instantly. Not that there's enough for it to actually do any good, mind you, but still, they'd have x+y sales instead of just x (where x = people who buy up any shit that WotC produce, and y = old setting fanboys).
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Koumei wrote:It's Always Hot and Dry Outside
They mentioned plans to publish novels set in IAHDO. No word about any supplements as of yet, though. The previous incarnation was just an ad for XPH, so I don't hope for the next one to be anything worth reading. They'd just press the reset button once again to be able to use new content, yay! No thanks, I don't want emo retards and FYIADs fucking up the awesome world of scheming Templars and would-be avangion Preservers.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Koumei wrote:And there are fans of the above settings who hate 3E simply because it didn't support their favourite 2E setting, so those idiots would buy it up instantly.
Actually I was the exact opposite. I sort of didn't hate 3E because they didn't support my favorite 2E setting, which really was a crappy conversion of their 1E setting which really was, come to think of it, really crappy and I ignored most of the crap.

That setting, btw, was Lankhmar.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

They didn't actually own any rights to Lankhmar, tho.

-Crissa
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

RandomCasualty2 wrote:
SunTzuWarmaster wrote:I don't think the market can support the current release schedule, even if they had 100% of it. It feels like an author that writes more than 1 book/month, and a movie producer that releases 2 movies/week. To the vast majority of audiences, that is just too much material.
Not to mention that most of their new material is totally useless to existing campaigns and characters. New classes that you have to start out in, feats with crazy ability score prereqs that you wouldn't have unless you specifically built to get that feat, racial feats you can't take unless you're some obscure race/class combo... Honestly it seems like the only time you'd care about 4E splats is if you had to make a new character.

Gotta reroll to use the new FotM builds! That's content! Learn2play.

:mrgreen:
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Can someone tell it to stop using its teeth please?
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Kaelik wrote:No, bad liar. Stop lying.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type II - change for the sake of change.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type III - the illusion of change.
Ganbare Gincun
Duke

Post by Ganbare Gincun »

Roy wrote:Gotta reroll to use the new FotM builds! That's content! Learn2play.

:mrgreen:
Did someone mention World Of Warcraft? :lol: