4ail Satire Game Discussions

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Judging__Eagle
Prince

4ail Satire Game Discussions

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Game Discussion stuff:

stuff that's important:

what classes are we going to be:

Do we want a "theme" party? like, all Dorfs or all Wizards? or do we want the "trope" party.

Actually, I don't want a trope party at all. I want a dwarf ranger, an elf warrior, an evilish-race cleric and a tough race wizard. We need to make some bad decisions to put the lampshade on.

We could also make "two" groups. and run them through the same dungeon.

One is the "whatever the books suggest"; the other is "what we think is best"

So, the fighter, rogue, ranger, cleric, wizard group for one

and marshall, wizard, wizard, laser cleric, lazer cleric; or whatever for the other.

It would probably save time in terms of running and generating characters. and we would be able to actively compare the two sides.

We could even have them fight each other out in the end.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

Wouldn't you need another 5 people for a second group?
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

When you say not the trope party, I take it you mean trying to prove that 'you can play anything' bit by not being the right race and class etc?

And the comparing idea could work, though I'm still in favor of 'listening' to them for a while, 'realizing' they're made of Fail, then getting a do over with the characters that actually do work.

And the best parties are 4 of the same build (usually one of those Stunlock Wizards or whatever the fuck it is that gets boosted by Warlord) + Warlord.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Can someone tell it to stop using its teeth please?
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Kaelik wrote:No, bad liar. Stop lying.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type II - change for the sake of change.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type III - the illusion of change.
TheDarkFuzz
NPC

Post by TheDarkFuzz »

Having played with the Artificer, I'm pretty sure a 5 Artificer party could also beat almost anything. Their at-will, Magic Weapon, gives a +1 untyped bonus to attack and an untyped bonus to damage equal to either their Con or Wis for every ally adjacent to them. Five guys, all spamming this, can rack up massive bonuses to their attack and damage very quickly, esp. if some of them use action points to get even more.

For extra cheese, throw some Rangers in there instead. With Twin Strike and the like, they can double, triple, or quadruple the effectiveness of the artificers buffs (including the minor action ones like Corrosive Sigil) for massive powah.

I wouldn't mind if everyone wanted to make two characters and run them at the same time or whatever. Just means that it's twice as much posting, which can get annoying. IMO probably better to stick with one party.

Anyways, sometime before I started rambling I had an actual question, that being: what level?
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

Ok, I checked here at home, and 4e the PHB pdf definitely bit the fuckthisshit! bullet. Anyone have a copy or, alternatively, just want to throw a character my way?
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

the idea would be this:

-One forum
-Two PCs per person
-One actual dungeon, same NPCs, same monsters, same everything
-Two games running concurrently

So, one game thread is the mixed-bag party, and an other game thread the other is the five artificers party. So things are kept seperate in that manner.

Also, I'll need access to a character sheet file, and info on whatever class I'll play. By now I've seriously played everything from ranged to melee Deeps; tanks, healers and well... yeah, that's pretty much the main class roles in an MMO, so I'm fine playing whatever.
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
TheDarkFuzz
NPC

Post by TheDarkFuzz »

Right, I got that. And as someone who plays PbP pretty often, I don't think it's a good idea. Having to make one post a day is one thing, having to make two posts every time you feel like making one post is another. Plus, this is supposed to be hella funny. Nobody is going to have two different awesome jokes in mind every time they want to post, and even if they do I'd rather read them successively than concurrently.

As for characters...ok, there are a few solutions. DnDOG and MW have 4e sheets for sure, and maybe some other places, so signing up there will let you get access to online sheets to fill out. Alternatively, you can type it up like a notepad file and store it right on RPOL.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Ok, both are good points for why to do seperate runs of characters.

So, what's the plan, optimal party that occurs "by mistake", or a "group of players" that "make up some character ideas, based on the PHB descriptions."

Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Judging__Eagle wrote:Ok, both are good points for why to do seperate runs of characters.

So, what's the plan, optimal party that occurs "by mistake", or a "group of players" that "make up some character ideas, based on the PHB descriptions."
I like the latter, have it not work, then have people surf the internet while someone is doing a skill challenge or something to find out what really works, then do that to recover from the TPK.

Level 1 would probably be easiest and also the most typical. Isn't there some level 3 enemy with over a hundred HP? I figure that's an easy TPK that shouldn't be.

VitM: It should be easy to... 'find'.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
Rejakor
Master

Post by Rejakor »

I play in 7 or so PbP games. I have absolutely no trouble writing 7 or so posts every 2 days.

But for what you're doing here it sounds like you want some kind of instant messaging client, like IRC, and a dicebot. The sheer boringness of 4e will kill you otherwise.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Rejakor wrote:I play in 7 or so PbP games. I have absolutely no trouble writing 7 or so posts every 2 days.

But for what you're doing here it sounds like you want some kind of instant messaging client, like IRC, and a dicebot. The sheer boringness of 4e will kill you otherwise.
Even with the epic hilarity?
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

I'm a dumbass. I take it that premade Cleric is the 'laser' kind?
Draco_Argentum wrote:
TheDarkFuzz
NPC

Post by TheDarkFuzz »

Roy wrote:Even with the epic hilarity?
The hope is definitely that the hilarity will eclipse the boredom.
Roy wrote:I take it that premade cleric is the "laser" kind?
It could very well be. Look at the sheet and figure it out.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

The sheet makes me cross eyed. He does have a move that looks like a laser, but I don't know if that's enough to be called a laser cleric or if he needs more, or if it's made from a specific kind of laser.

So as is usually the case with 4.Fail, I can't make any fucking sense of the drivel.

Also, what are we doing for group 2? Because if it's a laser cleric heavy game I won't do one now. I recommend Rangers and Warlords or whatever gives huge bonuses.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Hmm, yeah, what the party will turn into should be decided ahead of time.

Orbizards plus a Marshall?

Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Judging__Eagle wrote:Hmm, yeah, what the party will turn into should be decided ahead of time.

Orbizards plus a Marshall?
Sounds good. But why do you keep calling the Warlord a Marshal?
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Rejakor
Master

Post by Rejakor »

Cause the warlord is a farking marshal clone? Like, down to the DNA of it's ruggedly brushed back hairstyle?
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

I guess I don't associate the word warlord with the small potatoes dungeon crawling that is D&D? The class name just doesn't make any sense to me I guess, so it has very little traction as a result.

Rejakor
Master

Post by Rejakor »

Well, after all the armies packed up and ran off to make way for the yogi hat rangers, tempest fighters and orbizards, the warlords had to do something. So they got jobs. At Mcdonalds.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Rejakor wrote:Well, after all the armies packed up and ran off to make way for the yogi hat rangers, tempest fighters and orbizards, the warlords had to do something. So they got jobs. At Mcdonalds.
Win.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

So who all is still in for the lulz?
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Do you guys have a DM? Because if you guys have a module in mine, or even a 3.5 one I can just hijack the plot from, I'll DM it. It's not like it's hard to pick a bunch of damn monsters for no reason.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Kaelik wrote:Do you guys have a DM? Because if you guys have a module in mine, or even a 3.5 one I can just hijack the plot from, I'll DM it. It's not like it's hard to pick a bunch of damn monsters for no reason.
Yeah. Just the players started really slowing down on posting.
Draco_Argentum wrote: