Post edited without my permission

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

Bill Bisco: Isometric Imp
Knight

Post edited without my permission

Post by Bill Bisco: Isometric Imp »

Post edited without my permission.
I know you can't do as many ground-breaking things as a caster like you could in 3rd. But let's face it. The caster versus martial class rift in previous editions was like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFuMpYTyRjw.
from http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=49900&start=75

That's not funny and not acceptable. I did not write that. Whoever did that didn't end up changing the edited by in my post.
Last edited by Bill Bisco: Isometric Imp on Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Marches
"Real Sharpness Comes Without Effort"
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

All edits* leave behind the "last edited by" remark. The standard code for phpBB only leaves the mark if the post is edited after another post is added to the thread. And we specifically changed the code to always leave behind the tag, to avoid this sort of question. I don't know what the link points to (my employer blocks youtube). Is the entire thing not yours? Just the link? What, specifically, are you claiming was added by somebody other than you?

* I can think of one way to manipulate a post without leaving behind the "last edited by" tag. that would be logging directly into the database and editing the post table manually. To the best of my knowledge, the only admins who have the ability to do that are me and Neil. I know I didn't do it, and while I can't say for 100% certain that Neil didn't, I'd be shocked beyond all belief if he actually did.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

And to be clear (because I'm not sure it is): I'm not accusing you of lying or making it up or anything else nefarious. I'm just saying that to the best of my knowledge, this sort of thing can't happen. It's certainly possible you've stumbled upon a bug that was previously unnoticed. And if that's the case, I'd love to track it down and squash it.

and a quick edit to test...
Last edited by Zherog on Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Aside from all these possibilities, is there anybody else that you might know who has access to your account or your computer that might have done so?

For example, there are several posts on the Den with Virgil accidentally posting as me when he came over to my place and forgetting to log out and vice a versa.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Knight

Zherog wrote:All edits* leave behind the "last edited by" remark. The standard code for phpBB only leaves the mark if the post is edited after another post is added to the thread. And we specifically changed the code to always leave behind the tag, to avoid this sort of question. I don't know what the link points to (my employer blocks youtube). Is the entire thing not yours? Just the link? What, specifically, are you claiming was added by somebody other than you?

* I can think of one way to manipulate a post without leaving behind the "last edited by" tag. that would be logging directly into the database and editing the post table manually. To the best of my knowledge, the only admins who have the ability to do that are me and Neil. I know I didn't do it, and while I can't say for 100% certain that Neil didn't, I'd be shocked beyond all belief if he actually did.
The bit that I quoted at the beginning was not posted by me. The rest of my post in that thread is correct.

I was using my own personal computer at the time. The only other person who could have possibly edited it from there was my roommate but he does not play D&D and therefore the references to 3rd edition casters would not make sense.

I have changed my password anyway, just in case. The link pointed to a youtube video that isn't there. There was no "major" harm done, but it makes me very nervous when I see my posts edited like that.
Black Marches
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

OK.

The post is flagged as being edited by you. Do you remember editing it at some point?
You can't fix stupid.

Knight

Yes, I edited it to remove some unnecessary spaces. Later I realized that I still had some unnecessary spaces when I say that erroneous remark and youtube link.
Black Marches
zeruslord
Knight-Baron

Post by zeruslord »

That bit originally appeared in the post you were responding to. You probably just left it out of quote tags and didn't pick up on it until you went back to edit.
Knight

D'oh :bash:
Black Marches
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Bill Bisco: Isometric Imp wrote: The link pointed to a youtube video that isn't there.
The Youtube link was garbled by the inclusion of "." in the link. It was worth editing the URL by hand to take a look. :)
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Glad we got this cleared up. Thanks, Z.

[/TGFBS]
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Glad it's worked out, Bill. Thanks for catching the actual problem, Zerus.
You can't fix stupid.