Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I've recently switched to Safari 4. I haven't tested this in 3.

So, the sit is not really remembering new posts from my last visit. Before it wasn't remembering the correct recent post - the highlights would be right, but clicking on the link would put me to a post some time in the past.

Now it's not highlighting new posts.

Safari 4 does check the site more frequently than I do, but only the top page.

-Crissa
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Re: New posts aren't remembered...?

Post by Zherog »

Crissa wrote:So, the sit is not really remembering new posts from my last visit. Before it wasn't remembering the correct recent post - the highlights would be right, but clicking on the link would put me to a post some time in the past.
I have this problem in Firefox as well. It's caused by a limitation in the phpBB code. I believe it's fixed in v3 of the software, but I haven't actually tested that to be sure.
Now it's not highlighting new posts.
Does the problem occur with new posts in already existing threads, new threads, or both?

I suspect the root cause here is the same as what causes Firefox to do what you described in the first part I quoted, but I don't know for sure.
Last edited by Zherog on Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I don't know. All the flags are right today, but weren't for the last four days.

-Crissa
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I know that in Opera, everything works fine so long as I close my browser between visits.

If I leave it open for a download or something, it always goes back to whatever was new when I first loaded the page.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Yeah, posts that appeared during today's visit were hilighted properly, but clicking on the link sends me to the post it told me was new at the beginning of the day, which as at least correct for today.

*sigh*

-Crissa
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

Maj wrote:I know that in Opera, everything works fine so long as I close my browser between visits.

If I leave it open for a download or something, it always goes back to whatever was new when I first loaded the page.
Same here in Firefox (in Linux). If you don't log out, the boards take you to the earliest post that was "new" when you logged in.
zeruslord
Knight-Baron

Post by zeruslord »

Same in Chrome on XP. I just gave up on it about a week after I found the Den.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Yeah, it's somehow erasing all the 'new' tags with the top-sites feature in Safari 4.

-Crissa
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

with phpBB v2.0.23 and below new posts are marked read when you leave the board (or log out). it has to do with when the cookie is set and how your session is recorded in this version. it WAS updated as a feature in phpBB3 to keep posts unread until you actually mark them read or read them. But i haven't played with phpBB3 that much to formally know. There was a hack that tried to do it for phpBB2 but I never found one that fully worked with new post handling.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Yeah, I've found at least one mod for v2 and looked at it. It's been a while, but as I recall it involved a lot of manual steps and so I put it on the back burner.

I post on another forum that uses v3, and I've never had this problem there, so I'm going to wager that whatever they did in v3 worked. If so, it's just one more reason I need to get off my lazy ass and investigate upgrading.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson